Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Artemio Dumlao - The Philippine Star
August 18, 2026 | 12:00am
Workers clear a portion of Gov. Bado Dangwa National Road in Barangay Daclan in Tublay, Benguet. The road section was blocked by a landslide last week.
Andy Zapata
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — The city government here is moving to declare Guisad Surong, site of the deadly landslide last week, a no-build zone to prohibit the rebuilding of destroyed homes and construction of new structures in the hazardous area.
Mayor Benjamin Magalong firmed up the policy following the Aug. 9 landslide that killed 10 people.
City officials agreed that the ground zero area is too dangerous for habitation and should instead be protected and rehabilitated.
The city disaster risk reduction and management office said the site is “fully saturated and very highly susceptible to landslide,” consistent with the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB)’s hazard maps and the city’s comprehensive land use plan, which identify the area as landslide-prone.
City officials found visible cracks and loose, unstable soil on the upper portion of the slope, while portions of an adjacent walkway had cracked, indicating possible ground movement and the risk of further slope failure amid continued monsoon rains.
The city government said it would study engineering interventions with the MGB and Department of Public Works and Highways to stabilize and restore the site.
Initial restoration works have been included among the city’s proposed calamity projects for funding. Magalong said the city would explore engineering solutions for other landslide-prone areas instead of simply relocating residents.

4 hours ago
1


