BARMM leaders cross party lines, call for safe, credible regional polls

2 days ago 6
Suniway Group of Companies Inc.

Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!

Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.

Visit Suniway.ph to learn

John Unson - Philstar.com

August 17, 2026 | 7:29pm

The Bangsamoro regional capitol in Cotabato City.

Philstar.com / John Unson

COTABATO CITY — Five high provincial officials in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao on Sunday, August 16, warned that they would prosecute constituents who violate the Omnibus Election Code during the September 14 BARMM elections.

The three governors, Ysmael Sali of Tawi-Tawi, Tucao Mastura of Maguindanao del Norte, Ali Midtimbang of Maguindanao del Sur and Basilan Vice Gov. Hadjiman Salliman, relayed their common stand on the issue after joining the Bangsamoro Federalist Party during a symbolic rite in Cotabato City on Sunday.

They separately assured that they would enforce in their respective provinces the party’s policy of directing members and supporters to help the Commission on Elections ensure peaceful and honest parliamentary polls in BARMM on September 14.

The four provincial officials pledged allegiance to the Bangsamoro Federalist Party during a symbolic rite at the Shariff Kabunsuan Cultural Complex in the BARMM capitol in Cotabato City, facilitated by its regional chairman, Bangsamoro Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua.

Sali, Mastura and Midtimbang originally belonged to the United Bangsamoro Justice Party of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. More than half of the 116 municipal mayors in BARMM had earlier left the MILF’s political bloc in batches and joined the Bangsamoro Federalist Party.

Lanao del Sur Gov. Mamintal Adiong Jr., who witnessed the oath-taking of Sali, Mastura, Midtimbang and Salliman as new members of the Bangsamoro Federalist Party at the BARMM capitol on Sunday, said he would also support the party’s election peace and security initiatives. 

Adiong is a ranking official of the Serbisyong Inklusibo, Alyansang Progresibo Party, one of the more than 10 political parties, including the Bangsamoro Federalist Party, that the Comelec has permitted to participate in BARMM's September 14 elections.

BARMM covers five provinces, Maguindanao del Norte, Maguindanao del Sur, Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi, and three cities, Lamitan, Marawi and Cotabato.

The Comelec, the military’s Western Mindanao Command and the Police Regional Office-Bangsamoro Autonomous Region are all set for next month's elections in BARMM.

“The anti-election fraud policies of the Serbisyong Inklusibo, Alyansang Progresibo and the Bangsamoro Federalist Party are the same. We will do our best to implement that in Lanao del Sur. These two parties are not enemies,” Adiong said. 

Salliman was accompanied by eight of the 12 mayors from Basilan to the BARMM capitol, where he, Sali, Mastura and Midtimbang were sworn in by  Macacua as members of the Bangsamoro Federalist Party.

All eight mayors from Salliman's constituency have vowed to help the Comelec ensure the peaceful conduct of the September 14 parliamentary elections in the barangays under their jurisdiction.

“As members of the Bangsamoro Federalist Party, me and my constituent-mayors shall work hard in helping the Comelec make the September 14 parliamentary elections in areas under our jurisdiction credible and peaceful. That is a commitment,” Salliman said.

Read Entire Article