Caloocan lawmaker faces graft raps

2 hours ago 2
Suniway Group of Companies Inc.

Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!

Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.

Visit Suniway.ph to learn

Daphne Galvez - The Philippine Star

May 22, 2026 | 12:00am

Former city mayor Reynaldo Malonzo filed the complaints against Asistio, Department of Public Works and Highways engineer Raul Umali and several private contracting executives.

STAR / File

MANILA, Philippines —  Caloocan 3rd District Rep. Dean Asistio is facing complaints of graft, malversation of public funds and falsification of documents before the Office of the Ombudsman over alleged “ghost” and anomalous infrastructure projects worth P72.9 million.

Former city mayor Reynaldo Malonzo filed the complaints against Asistio, Department of Public Works and Highways engineer Raul Umali and several private contracting executives.

In his complaint, Malonzo said he discovered that several projects listed in official records under Asistio’s district “appeared to have no corresponding implementation or physical existence.”

“Several projects had no corresponding implementation, were misrepresented or were inconsistent with official descriptions despite the release of substantial public funds,” the complaint read.

Among the projects cited in the complaint are a P19.2-million flood control project in Barangay 187 awarded to Diadema Construction and Enterprises and a P19.2-million contract for road and drainage rehabilitation in Barangay 163, which was awarded to Wawao Builders.

According to Malonzo, the project in Barangay 187 is non-existent while the one in Barangay 163 showed completion photos that were taken from a different village.

Also cited in the complaints are a covered court rehabilitation project, a day care center construction and a road and drainage project – all in Barangay 187 – and the road construction and multi-purpose building in Barangays 159 and 177, respectively.

Malonzo argued that while Asistio did not sign the project documents, his political influence and public association with the projects through official tarpaulins and signage indicate his “participation in the facilitation, endorsement and funding allocation process.”

In a statement, Asistio said his district has no ghost projects as “all projects went under the proper process and implementation.”

He decried Malonzo’s allegations as mere politicking, saying he has information that the latter intends to run in the next local election.

Last year, Asistio appeared before the Independent Commission for Infrastructure to deny claims of ghost projects in his district.

Read Entire Article