Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Helen Flores - The Philippine Star
February 19, 2026 | 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — President Marcos has ordered Public Works and Highways Secretary Vince Dizon to conduct a thorough inspection of the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) for the possible construction of a seaport and airport aimed at improving local tourism and creating jobs for its residents.
The directive came as the Kalayaan Municipal Tourism Office opened limited slots for nine-day, eight-night guided tour packages across the island group this February.
It also came after the Chinese government banned 16 officials of the municipality of Kalayaan from entering China, including Hong Kong and Macau, in response to their resolutions declaring the country’s former and current ambassadors to the Philippines persona non grata.
“I just spoke with Sec. Vince, and the President ordered them to go to the Kalayaan Island Group and see what is needed there,” Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said at a press briefing yesterday.
The municipality of Kalayaan was created over the KIG under the province of Palawan by virtue of a presidential decree issued by Marcos’ father, the late president Ferdinand Marcos Sr., in 1978.
The island group was first formally opened to regulated tourism in March 2023 through the “Great Kalayaan Expedition,” a week-long sailing program that brought visitors to key islands, including Lawak, Patag, Likas and Pag-asa.
The packages include round-trip sea transfers, accommodation and daily meals and are open to both domestic and foreign tourists, subject to booking confirmation and compliance with local guidelines.
The Senate earlier adopted Senate Resolution 256 condemning China’s diplomats for their insults against Philippine officials who defended the country’s sovereignty and maritime rights.
Marcos previously backed statements of Filipino officials on the WPS but rejected calls to declare Chinese Ambassador Jing Quan persona non grata.
Earlier this week, the 16 officials of Kalayaan town were honored as heroes of the West Philippine Sea for their bravery and strength to defend the country’s sovereignty.
“(The) ‘Kalayaan 16’ are our modern day heroes. They prove that there are no ‘casual commentators’ when it comes to our sovereignty. Ordinary Filipinos are at the frontlines of our defense of the West Philippine Sea,” Atin Ito co-convenor Rafaela David told The STAR.
Worse than trolls
For Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) spokesman on the WPS Commodore Jay Tarriela, countering disinformation by politicians is worse than dealing with trolls.
“If a particular legislator were to say something against our constituents in the West Philippine Sea, how would you be able to convince their supporters (otherwise)? Must we go house-to-house?” Tarriela said during the Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum yesterday.
He also said that the Philippines is in an intensified battle of narratives after the current administration amplified the nation’s legal victory in the 2016 arbitral ruling.
Tarriela’s efforts to defend the West Philippine Sea were recognized by the 18th City Council of Puerto Princesa for his “demonstrated exemplary leadership, professionalism, statesmanship and patriotism” in defending the country’s sovereignty. - Andrew Ronquillo, Josiah Antonio

2 hours ago
1


