Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang pushed back against claims that National Bureau of Investigation agents failed to serve the International Criminal Court warrant against Sen. Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa, pointing instead to the Senate's interruption of the arrest attempt.
At a Palace press briefing, Press Officer Claire Castro rejected suggestions that the failed arrest should be blamed on the NBI.
"I-correct po natin iyan ha. There was no failure on the part of the NBI agents," Castro said. (Let's correct that. There was no failure on the part of the NBI agents.)
The exchange came after a reporter asked why no agency had been held accountable for Dela Rosa's failure to be taken into custody despite the ICC warrant against him.
Dela Rosa, who is wanted by the ICC over alleged crimes against humanity tied to the Duterte administration's anti-drug campaign, had been staying inside the Senate under chamber protection after NBI agents attempted to serve the warrant on May 11.
Asked whether the NBI was right to heed the Senate's protective custody and effectively halt the arrest effort, Castro turned the issue back to the chamber itself.
"The question is: What is the Senate correct with interfering with the service of the warrant of arrest?" Castro said.
"Dito makikita n'yo kung sino ang may respeto sa institusyon, at kung sino ang hindi rumespeto sa batas," she added. (Here you'd see who has respect for institution, and who doesn't have respect for the law.)
Dela Rosa left the Senate complex undetected before dawn Thursday, May 14, after an overnight lockdown and gunfire incident inside the building. — with Geraldine Santos

4 days ago
3


