Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Louella Desiderio - The Philippine Star
February 22, 2026 | 12:00am
Container yards at the Bureau of Customs are seen from Manila Bay on April 13, 2025.
STAR / Ryan Baldemor
MANILA, Philippines — The country’s umbrella group of exporters is pushing for sustained dialogue with the United States after President Donald Trump imposed a new 10 percent levy on imports, just hours after the US Supreme Court struck down earlier tariffs.
In a statement yesterday, the Philippine Exporters Confederation Inc. (Philexport) welcomed the ruling, but expressed concern over Trump’s immediate imposition of a new 10 percent global tariff.
“The invalidation of the previous 19 percent tariff provides much-needed legal relief to our members,” Philexport president Sergio Ortiz-Luis Jr. said.
The US Supreme Court on Feb. 20 ruled that Trump cannot invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to impose higher levies on trade partners, rendering his previous tariffs imposition unconstitutional.
Despite the US imposition of 19 percent tariff on Philippine goods, excluding key agricultural and semiconductor products, the country’s total exports still ended at record-high last year.
“Our exporters showed incredible resilience last year, driving total exports to a record $84.4 billion, despite these headwinds. This ruling removes a major barrier that was unfairly penalizing Philippine craftsmanship and industry,” Ortiz-Luis said.
Hours after the US Supreme Court ruling, Trump signed a proclamation imposing a 10 percent tariff on most of US imports, using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 as basis.
Under Section 122 of the Trade Act, the President is authorized to impose duties of up to 15 percent for 150 days. The new tariff will take effect on Feb. 24 and replace the IEEPA duties.
“While this is an additional cost, its global application means the Philippines maintains its relative competitiveness against other trading nations,” Ortiz-Luis said.
For Philexport, the 150-day period would be a crucial time for bilateral negotiations between the Philippines and the US.
Philexport is optimistic about the continued exemption of semiconductors and electronic products from tariffs due to their role in the US technology supply chain.
It also expressed confidence that agricultural exports would remain stable as key products, including coconut oil, pineapples and mangoes, continue to be covered by exemptions.
For her part, Trade Secretary Cristina Roque said in a Viber message to The STAR that the Philippine government would continue to engage with the US.
She said “US remains an important trading and investment partner and a stable and predictable arrangement with the US will be very beneficial to our stakeholders both foreign and domestic.”
Commenting on the latest tariff developments, Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. chief economist Michael Ricafort said the US high court ruling provides greater clarity to US president’s powers to impose tariffs globally.
“As a result, local stock and the rest of the local financial markets could gain as an immediate reaction,” he said.
He said Philippine exporters not covered by exemptions are likely to be the most affected by the new levy.
“Further diversification of export markets and export products or winners (needs) to continue to address the risk related to Trump’s tariffs, trade wars and other protectionist measures,” he said.

5 hours ago
1


