Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Renalyn Ramirez - Philstar.com
May 21, 2026 | 2:38pm
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG) relieved its spokesperson after he allegedly facilitated meetings between the families of missing sabungeros (cockfighting enthusiasts) and implicated police officers.
The development was conveyed to the media by PNP-HPG Director Brig. Gen. Rommel Batangan during a press briefing on Thursday, May 21.
“Sa kaalaman po ng lahat, si Police Lieutenant Malang, ang aming PIO (public information officer) sa Highway Patrol Group, bilang utos ng ating chief PNP, na-relieve na po dito sa Highway Patrol Group as PIO, at re-assigned po sya sa headquarters namin,” Batangan said.
(For everyone's information, Police Lieutenant Malang, our PIO in the Highway Patrol Group, upon the order of our PNP chief, has been relieved as PIO of the Highway Patrol Group and reassigned to our headquarters.)
Batangan said Malang will be replaced by Lt. Chitadel Gaoiran, who previously served as chief of the Regional Public Information Office (RPIO) for PRO-4A Calabarzon.
30-minute secret meeting
Relatives of missing sabungeros earlier filed a complaint with the National Police Commission (Napolcom) in Quezon City on Tuesday, May 20, against two police officers for allegedly facilitating a meeting between them and detained police personnel linked to the case.
The police officers were later identified as Lt. Malang and PNP Custodial Center Maj. Reynaldo Pañebe Jr., who was also relieved from his post on Tuesday.
The five complainants said during a press conference at Napolcom that Pañebe gave them 30 minutes to meet with the implicated police officers detained at the PNP Custodial Center.
“Nagtataka po ako nung sabi niya sa akin na huwag ko daw pong sabihin sa iba. Kalimutan ko na daw po na nagpunta kami doon ng araw na yon kasi bawal daw po 'yun. Bawal daw po kami makipag-usap o pumunta doun sa custodial ng mga pulis,” Diane Loyola said.
(I was confused when he told me not to tell others about the meeting. He told me to forget that we went there that day because it was supposedly not allowed. We were allegedly not allowed to talk to the detained personnel or go to the police custodial center.)
Loyola is the wife of Ferdinand Dizon, who went missing in Santa Cruz, Laguna, on Jan. 13, 2022.
Atong Ang’s lawyer allegedly gave cash
Loyola also narrated during the press conference how the lawyer of Atong Ang, the alleged mastermind behind the missing sabungeros case, allegedly attempted to bribe them with monthly financial assistance in exchange for their absence during court hearings.
Atong Ang is currently in hiding following kidnapping charges filed against him for allegedly abducting and killing at least 34 sabungeros.
“Ang sabi po sa akin ay may gusto sa aking kumausap na attorney para bigyan kami ng tulong pinansyal sa mga pamilya missing sabungero,” Loyola said.
(I was told that an attorney wanted to speak with me to provide financial assistance to the families of the missing sabungeros.)
When asked whom she was referring to, she identified Caroline Cruz, the lawyer of Atong Ang.
“Si Attorney Caroline Cruz po ang kumausap sa akin tungkol dun sa tulong pinansyal na ibibigay niya sa akin nung April 16. Nung nakausap ko po siya ah nung una ang sabi niya po, kausapin ko 'yung mga pulis at saka mga security guard na involved sa kaso namin,” she recalled.
“And then after po nung mag-usap po kami may inaabot po siyang sobre na may may lamang pera po. Actually hindi ko pa nga po siya ginagastos. Nandito pa rin siya kasi medyo natatakot po kami na baka mamaya gamitin din sa amin ‘yung perang binigay sa amin.”
(It was Attorney Caroline Cruz who spoke to me about the financial assistance she gave me on April 16. When I first talked to her, she told me to speak with the police officers and security guards involved in our case.)
(And then after we talked, she handed me an envelope containing cash. Actually, I still have not spent it. It is still here because we are afraid the money they gave us might later be used against us.)
Loyola then showed the media P30,000 in cash from an envelope. Cruz allegedly gave her P20,000 for transportation expenses after their meeting on April 16.
Meanwhile, Napolcom said that it would look into the matter.

13 hours ago
2


