Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn



Alas Pilipinas Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons in action during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge. –MARLO CUETO/INQUIRER.net
SANTA ROSA, Laguna — Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons missed the chance to advance to the round of 24 of the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge after a heartbreaking 20-22, 22-24 loss to Switzerland’s Annique Niederhauser and Menia Bentele on Thursday at Nuvali Sands Courts here.
Rondina and Pons pushed the more experienced and taller Swiss pair, even holding a 19-16 lead in the second set and moving within two points of forcing a decider.
READ: Experience awaits as Rondina-Pons battles world-class field
But Bentele and Niederhauser responded with four straight points to reach match point, 20-19. The Filipinos saved two match points before Switzerland regained control, with Niederhauser scoring off Pons’ block attempt. Bentele then delivered the match-winning hit, which the Filipinos were unable to return.
Despite the early exit, Rondina expressed pride in their reunion as a pair despite limited preparation following their respective club commitments.


Alas Pilipinas Sisi Rondina in action during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge. –MARLO CUETO/INQUIRER.net
“I’m proud of the result. It’s just nice because Pons only trained with me for one and a half weeks, but we were able to keep up with them,” said Rondina in Filipino after scoring 12.
Alas finished the modified pool play with two losses in Group H after Pons and Rondina also fell short to Denmark’s Sofia Bisgaard and Cirkeline Hog, 19-21, 17-21, early in the morning.
WATCH: Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons remain proud of their run in the #BeachProTour Nuvali Challenge despite the early exit. | @LanceAgcaoilINQ pic.twitter.com/w2Nt24GPQM
— INQUIRER Sports (@inquirersports) May 21, 2026
“The level of competition in the Challenge is really different. So I’m very grateful to compete against volleyball players from around the world,” Pons said.
The same Swiss duo ended Pons and Rondina’s round of 24 in last year’s challenge, 18-21, 24-22, 15-12.
Meanwhile, Alas Pilipinas men Ronniel Rosales and Ranran Abdilla were forced to withdraw from their opening match against Team USA’s Hagen Smith and Ryan Ierna, 21-10, 3-2, dropping to 0-1.
Rosales was rushed for medical attention early in the second set after experiencing a sudden spike in blood pressure, with the Philippines trailing 2-3 at the time. He remains under observation, though he was able to watch Rondina’s match.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter

6 hours ago
6


