Sotto on Gatchalian as SP: It was my idea

4 hours ago 2
Suniway Group of Companies Inc.

Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!

Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.

Visit Suniway.ph to learn

Neil Jayson Servallos - The Philippine Star

May 25, 2026 | 12:00am

Vicente Sotto III and Win Gatchalian

Vicente Tito Sotto via FB, STAR / Ryan Baldemor

MANILA, Philippines — Breaking his silence on the Senate’s current leadership struggle, Minority Leader Vicente Sotto III said he was the one who proposed Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian as the minority’s bet to replace Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano.

Sotto made the statement yesterday to dispel notions that he has been sitting on the sidelines.

“I was asked why I have been silent re Senate leadership,” Sotto told reporters. “Wrong! I was the one who brought out the idea of making Sherwin as SP!”

However, when asked if Gatchalian had secured the necessary votes to formally take the gavel by Monday’s plenary session, the minority said it “depends.”

Sen. Panfilo Lacson also previously told radio dzBB that there were developments on getting Gatchalian the Senate presidency.

Meanwhile, Sotto shot down allegations floated by Sen. Imee Marcos, who claimed that there was a meeting held to discuss Charter change and a constituent assembly (con-ass) should the minority successfully reclaim the Senate leadership.

Backing earlier denials made by Lacson, Sotto clarified that the supposed secret political dealing was merely a casual dinner conversation that was completely taken out of context by an informant.

He said the meeting was between “golf friends” and Speaker Faustino Dy III.

“She is wrong. Ping (Lacson) is right. We never discussed con-ass,” Sotto said.

“In one dinner with some golf friends and Speaker Bojie (Dy), he mentioned an idea of suggesting a regional Senate representation. I never said it’s OK. Her (Imee) source doesn’t know how to listen,” Sotto explained.

Instead, the minority leader noted that if any amendments should be entertained, it should be for lowering the age required for candidates to run for president and senator.

Meanwhile, Lacson said Gatchalian – despite not being a lawyer – is fully capable of presiding over the historic impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte should the minority bloc succeed in installing him as the new Senate President.

Lacson emphasized that the Senate President serves primarily as a moderator, not the sole decision-maker, in a court composed of 24 senator-judges.

‘Fresh start’

Shutting down rumors that another Senate leadership change is meant to influence the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte, Lacson said the goal of the minority’s Solid Bloc 11 is to rehabilitate the institution.

“The primary or main concern of the 11 of us is to restore the Senate,” he told radio dzBB.

He stressed that Gatchalian’s leadership bid remains the bloc’s only “non-negotiable” condition as individual members work on securing the numbers to flip the chamber.

The minority just needs one defector from the current majority of 12 to flip the Senate given the continued absence of Sen. Ronald dela Rosa.

Read Entire Article